asaMmantyra mayaa saartham tadidam saahasaM kR^itam |
evam saahasayuktaani na kurvanti janeshvaraaH || 6-41-2
2. asammantray = without consulting; mayaa saardham = me closely; idam = this; tat = such; saahasam = a reckless act; kR^itam = has been done;janeshvaraaH = the kings; na kurvanti = cannot do; saahasa yuktaani = such rash acts; evam = in this manner.
“Without consulting me closely, such a reckless act has been done by you, such a rashness is not seemly in a king.”
idaaniiM maa kR^ithaa viira evam vidhamari.ndama |
tvayi ki.nchitsamaapanne kim kaaryam siitayaa mama || 6-41-4
bharatena mahaabaaho lakShmaNena yaviiyasaa |
shatrughnena cha shatrughna svashariireNa vaa punaH || 6-41-5
4; 5. viira = O; warrior!; arimdama = O; Vanquisher of foes!; ma kR^ithaaH = do not act; evamvidham = thus; idaaniim- now; mahaabaaho = O; the mighty armed!; Shatrughna = O; annihilator of enemies!; O; annihilator of enemies!; tvayi = (If) you; kimchit samaapanne = have come by some misfortune; mama = to me; kim kaaryam = what is the use; siitayaa = with Seetha; bharatena = Bharata; lakSmaNena = Lakshmana; yaniiyasaa = and still younger; shatrughnena = Shatrughna; sva shariineNa vaa punaH = or even with my own person?
“O, warrior! O, vanquisher of foes! Do not act thus in future. O, the mighty armed! O, annihilator of enemies! If you have come by some misfortune, I would have had nothing to do with Seetha, Bharata, Lakshmana or still younger Shatrughna or even with my own person.”
tvayi chaanaagate puurvamiti me nishchitaa matiH |
jaanatashchaapi te viiryam mahendravaruNopanu || 6-41-6
hatvaaham raavaNam raavaNam yuddhe saputrabalavaahanm |
abhiShichya cha laN^kaayaam vibhiiShaNa mathaapi cha || 6-41-7
bharate raajyamaaropya tyakShye deham mahaabala |
6; 7. mahaabala = O; monkey of great strength; mahendra varuNopama = equal to Indra the god of celestials and Varuna king of the Universe!;tvayi = (If) you; anaagate = have not returned; jaanatashchaapi = though I am conversant; te = with your; viiryam = valour; me = (this was) my;puurvam = earlier; matiH = determined; nishchitaa = resolve; hatvaa = having killed; raavaNam = Ravana; yuddhe = in fight; saputra bala vaahanam = with his sons forces and chariots; aham = I; abhiSichya = should have installed; vibhiiSaNam = Vibhishana (as king); laNkaayaam = of Lanka; aaropya = placing; raajyam = the kingdom; bharate = in Bharata; athaapi = and even; tyakSye = renounced; deham- my body.
“O, monkey of great strength, equal to Indra the god of celestials and Varuna the king of universe! If you have not returned, though I am conversant with your valour, this was my pre-determined resolve that having killed Ravana in fight with his sons forces and chariots, I should have installed Vibhishana as king of Lanka, placing the kingdom of Ayodhya in the hands of Bharata and renounced my life.”
tamevamvaadinaM raamaM sugriivaH pratyabhaaShata || 6-41-8
tava bhaaryaapahartaaraM dR^iShTvaa raaghava raavaNam |
marShayaami katham viira jaananvikramamaatmanaH || 6-41-9
8; 9. sugriivaH = Sugreeva; pratyabhaaSata = replied; tam = to that; raamam = Rama; evam vaadinam = who was thus peaking; viira = O; brave;raaghava = Rama!; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; raavaNam = Ravana; tava bhaaryaapahartaaram = who had taken away your consort; jaanan = conscious;aatmanaH = of my own; balam = strength; katham = how; marSayaami = can I bear it?
Hearing Rama’s words, Sugreeva replied as follows: “O, brave Rama! Seeing Ravana who had taken away your consort and being conscious of my own strength, how can I act otherwise?”
loka kShaya karam bhiimam bhayam pashyaamy upasthitam |
nibarhaNam praviiraaNaam R^ikSha vaanara rakShasaam || 6-41-12
12. pashyaami = I foresee; bhayam = a terrible calamity; upasthitam = to have come; lokakSayakaram = boding universal destruction; bhiimam = awful ; nibarhaNam = and death; praviiraaNaam = to the intrepid; R^ikSavaanara rakSasaam = bears; monkeys and demons.
“I foresee a terrible calamity to come, boding universal destruction and death to the intrepid bears, monkeys and demons.”
hrasvo ruukSho aprashastash ca pariveShah sulohitaH |
aaditya maNDale niilam lakShma lakShmaNa dR^ishyate || 6-41-18
18. lakSmaNa = O; Lakshamana!; aaditya maNDale = In the disk of the sun; hrasvaH = a small; pariveSaH = halo; niilam = with a black; lakSma= mark; ruukSaH = fiery; aprashastaH = shoren of its radiance; sulohitaH = and of coppery hue; lakSyate = is seen.
“O, Lakshmana! In the disk of the sun, a small halo with a black mark, fiery, shorn of its radiance and of coppery hue is seen.”
kShipram adya duraadharShaam puriim raavaNa paalitaam |
abhiyaama javena eva sarvato haribhir vR^itaaH || 6-41-22
22. abhiyaama = we shall attack; duraadharSaam = the invincible puriim = city; raavaNa paalitaam = ruled by Ravana; javenaiva = swiftly;sarvataH = from all sides; adya = now; kSipram = quickly; vR^itaaH = surrounded; haribhiH = by the monkeys.
“Now surrounded by the monkeys from all sides, let us make an attack on that invincible citadel ruled by Ravana quickly and swiftly.”
tataH kaale mahaa baahur balena mahataa vR^itaH |
prasthitah purato dhanvii lankaam abhimukhah puriim || 6-41-26
26. tataH = then; mahaabaahuH = Rama; the mighty armed; vR^itaH = together with; mahataa = the mighty; balena = army; prasthitaH = marched; purataH = in front; dhanvii = wielding a bow; abhimukhaH = towards; laNkaam puriim = the city of Lanka; kale = at the befitting moment.
Rama, the mighty armed, together with the mighty army marched in front, wielding a bow, towards the city of Lanka, at the befitting moment.
am vibhiiShaNa sugriivau hanuumaan jaambavaan nalaH |
R^ikSha raajas tathaa niilo lakShmaNash ca anyayus tadaa || 6-41-27
27. tadaa = then; vibhiiSaNa sugriivau = Vibhishana; Sugreeva; hanuman = Hanuman; Jaambavau = Jambavan; R^ikSaraajaH = the king of bears;nalaH = Nala; tathaa = and; niilaH = Nila; lakSmaNashcha = and Lakshmana; anvayuH = accompanied; tam = that Rama.
Then, Vibhishana, Sugreeva, Hanuman, Jambavan the king of bears, Nala, Nila and Lakshmana accompanied that Rama.
puurvam tu dvaaram aasaadya niilo hari camuu patiH |
atiShThat saha maindena dvividena ca viiryavaan || 6-41-38
38. niilaH = Nila; viiryavaan = the valiant; hari chamuupatiH = army-chief of monkeys; maindena saha = together with Mainda; dvividena cha saha = and Dvivida; aasaadya = reached; aatiSThat = and halted; (near); puurvam dvaaram = eastern gate.
Nila, the valiant army-chief of monkeys together with Mainda and Dvivida reached and halted before the Eastern gate.
angado dakShiNa dvaaram jagraaha sumahaa balaH |
RShabheNa gava akSheNa gajena gavayena ca || 6-41-39
39. aNgadaH = Angada; sumahaabalaH = of very mighty prowess; R^iSabheNa = together with R^iShabha; gavaakSeNa = Gavaksha; gajena = Gaja; gavayena = and Gavaya; jagraaha = took hold; dakSiNa dvaaram = of southern gate.
Angada of very mighty prowess, together with Rishhabha, Gavaksha, Gaja and Gavaya took charge of the Southern gate.
hanuumaan pashcima dvaaram rarakSha balavaan kapiH |
pramaathi praghasaabhyaam ca viirair anyaish ca samgataH || 6-41-40
40. balavaan = the storng; kapiH = monkey; hanuman = Hanuman; prajaN^gha sangataH = along with; tarasaabhyaam cha = Prajangha; Tarasa;anyeH = and other; viiraishcha = warriors; rarakSa = guarded; pashchima dvaaram = the western gate.
The strong monkey Hanuman together with Prajangha, Tarasa and other warriors, guarded the western gate.
madhyame ca svayam gulme sugriivah samatiShThata |
saha sarvair hari shreShThaih suparNa shvasana upamaiH || 6-41-41
41. sugriivaH = Sugreeva; saha sarvaiH = along with all; harishreSThaiH = the chiefs of monkeys; ssuparNa pavanopamaiH = equal to Garuda the eagle and the vehicle of Vishnu and Vayu the god of the wind; samatiSThata = stationed svayam- himself madhyame = in the middle; gulme = of the fort.
Sugreeva, along with all the chiefs of monkeys equal to the strength of Garuda (the eagle and the vehicle of Vishnu) as well as Vayu the god of the wind, was stationed himself in the middle of the fort.
vaanaraaNaam tu ShaT tri.nshat koTyah prakhyaata yuuthapaaH || 6-41-42
nipiiDya upaniviShTaash ca sugriivo yatra vaanaraH |
42. SaTtrimshatkoTya = thirty six crores; vaanaraaNaam = of monkeys; prakyaata yuuthapaaH = highly renowned generals; upanivivSTaaH = stood besiezed; yatra = where; vaanaraH = the monkey; sugriivaH = Sugreeva (was); nipiiDya = having exerted pressure (on the demons occupying that post).
Thirty six crores of monkeys, highly renowned generals stood besiezed, where the monkey Sugreeva was there, having exerted pressure on the demons occupying that post.
dasha naaga balaah kecit kecid dasha guNa uttaraaH || 6-41-47
kecin naaga sahasrasya babhuuvus tulya vikramaaH |
47. kechit = some were; dashanaaga balaaH = having a strength of ten elephants; kachit; some were; dashaguNottaraaH = having a strength of ten times of that; kechit = some; babhuuvuH = were; tulya vikramaaH = equal to the strength of a thousand elephants.
Some were having the strength of ten elephants, some a ten times of that and some were equal to the strength of a thousand elephants.
mahaan shabdo abhavat tatra bala oghasya abhivartataH || 6-41-55
saagarasya iva bhinnasya yathaa syaat salila svanaH |
55. balaughasya = (while) the flock of troops; abhivartataH = was advancing; tatra = there; mahaan = a tremendous; shabdaH = clamour; abhavat= arose; yathaa = as; syaat = becomes of; salilasvanaH = a roar in the water; saagarasyena = of the ocen; bhinnasya = beating against its shore.
While the flock of monkey- troops was advancing there, a tremendous clamour arose, resembling a roar in the ocean beating against its shore.
raama lakShmaNa guptaa saa sugriiveNa ca vaahinii || 6-41-57
babhuuva durdharShataraa sarvair api sura asuraiH |
57. saa = that; harivaahinii = army of monkeys; raama lakSmaNa guptaa = guarded by Rama; Lakshmana; sugriiveNacha = and Sugreeva;babhuuva = became; durdharSataraa = even more inivincible; sarvaiH = than all; suraasurairapi = celestials and demons.
That army of monkeys, guarded by Rama, Lakshmana and Sugreeva became even more invinceible than all the celestials and demons put together.
araakShasam imam lokam kartaa asmi nishitaih sharaiH |
na cet sharaNam abhyeShi maam upaadaaya maithiliim || 6-41-68
68. na abhyeSi yadi = If you do not make an appeal; sharaNam = to my clemency; aadaaya = by returning; tat = that; maithiliim = Seetha;karmaasmi = I shall make; imam = this; lokam = world; araakSasam = devoid of demons.
“If you do not make an appeal to my clemency by returning Seetha, I shall make this world devoid of all demons.”
braviimi tvaam hitam vaakyam kriyataam aurdhvadekikam |
sudR^iShTaa kriyataam lankaa jiivitam te mayi sthitam || 6-41-73
73. braviim = I am telling; vaakyam = the words; hitam = beneficial; tvaam = to you; kriyataam = be obliged; surd^iSTaa = to be seen well (by you); (as) te jiivitam = your survival; sthitam = is dependent; mayi = on me.
“I give you this salutary counsel prepare for your obsequies. Let Lanka be obliged to be seen well by you (like your last sight), as your survival is in my hands.”
tad raama vacanam sarvam anyuuna adhikam uttamam |
saamaatyam shraavayaam aasa nivedya aatmaanam aatmanaa || 6-41-77
77. nivedya aatmaanam aatmanaa = haing made himself known; (Angada); shravayaamaasaa = caused to be communicated; tat = that; sarvam = whole; uttamam = of excellent; raama vachanam = speech of Rama; anyuunaadhikam = without adding or subtracting anything; saamaatyam = to Ravana in the presence of his ministers (a follows):
Having made himself known, Angada communicated, that whole of the excellent speech of Rama without adding or subtracting anything to Ravana in the presence of Ravana’s ministers, saying:
duuto aham kosala indrasya raamasya akliShTa karmaNaH |
vaali putro angado naama yadi te shrotram aagataH || 6-41-78
78. aham = I; vaaliputraH = am the son of Vali; aNgado naama = called Angada; duutaH = the messenger; koshalendrasya = of the king of Koshala; raamasya = Rama; akliSTa karmaNaH = of imperishable = exploits; aagataH yadi = (has my name) ever reached; te = your; shrotram = ear?
“I am the son of Vali, Angada by name. I have come as a messenger for the king of Koshala, Rama of imperishable exploits. Has my name ever reached your ears?”
vibhiiShaNasya ca aishvaryam bhaviShyati hate tvayi |
na cet satkR^itya vaidehiim praNipatya pradaasyasi || 6-41-82
82. na pradaasyasi chet = If you do not restore; vaidehiim = Seetha; satkR^itya = honourably; praNipatya = by bowing respectfully before me;tvayi = you; hate = ae slain; aishvaryam = and the kingdom; bhaviSyati = will belong; vibhiiSaNasya = to Vibhishana.
“If you do not restore Seetha honourably, by bowing respectfully before me, you are slain and Vibhishana will become the king.’”
tesyotpatanavegena nirdhuutaastatra raakShasaaH |
bhumau nipatitaah sarve raakShasa indrasya pashyataH || 6-41-88
88. sarve = all those four; raakSasaaH = demons; nirdhuutaaH = were shaken out; tasya = by Angada’s utpatana vegena = impetuous leap;nipatitaaH = and they fell; bhuumau = on the ground; tatra = there; pashyataH = under the eyes; raakSasendrasya = of the king of demons.
All those four demons were shaken out by Angada’s impetuous leap and fell on the ground there under the eyes of their king.
bhanktvaa praasaada shikharam naama vishraavya ca aatmanaH |
vinadya sumahaa naadam utpapaata vihaayasaa || 6-41-91
91. bhaNKtvaa = after destroying; prasaada shikharam = the roof of the palace; naama vishraavyacha aatmanaH = proclaiming his name; vinadya= roaring; sumahaa naadam = with a very great noise; utpapaata = rose; vihaayasaa = into the air.
After destroying the roof of the palace, Angada proclaimed his name and with a triumphant roar, rose into the air.
raavaNas tu param cakre krodham praasaada dharShaNaat |
vinaasham ca aatmanah pashyan nihshvaasa paramo abhavat || 6-41-93
93. praasaada dharSaNaat = because of the destruction of the palace; raavaNastu = Ravana on his part; chakre = got; param = extreme; krodham= anger; pashyan = foreseeing; aatmaanaH = his own; vinaasham = destruction; abhavat = he became; niH shvaasa paramaH = a desponded demon.
Because of the destruction of his palace, Ravana on his part got extremely angry. Foreseeing his own destruction, he became a desponded demon.
suSheNas tu mahaa viiryo giri kuuTa upamo hariH |
bahubhih samvR^itas tatra vaanaraih kaama ruupibhiH || 6-41-95
95. suSeNastu = now Sushena; mahaaviiryaH = the most valiant; hariH = girikuuTopamaH = was like the head of the mountain; tatra = there;bahubhiH = samvR^itaH = surrounded by; innumerable; vaanaraiH = monkeys; kaamaruupibhiH = who were able to change their form at will.
Now, Sushena the highly valiant monkey, was stationed there like the head of the mountain surrounded by innumerable monkeys, who were bale to change their form at will.
ruddhaam tu nagariim zrutvaa jaata krodho nizaa caraH |
vidhaanam dviguNam zrutvaa praasaadam so adhyarohata || 6-42-2
2. shrutvaa = hearing; nagariim = that the city; ruddhaam = has been attacked; nishaacharaH = Ravana; jaatakrodhaH = exhibiting his anger;dviguNam = doubly; kR^itvaa = made; vidhaanam = his arrangements; aarohatacha = and ascended; praasaadam = his mansion.
Hearing that the city has been attacked, Ravana exhibiting his anger, doubly made the necessary arrangements for the war and ascended his mansion.
dR^iShTvaa daasharathirlaN^kaam chitradhvajapataakiniim |
jagaama manasaa siitaam duuyamaanena chetasaa || 6-42-7
7. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; laN^kaam = Lanka; chitra dhvaja pataakiniim = decorated with banners and flags; daasharathiH = Rama; jagaama = recollected; manasaa = in his mind; siitaam = about Seetha; duuyamaanena = with a distressed chetasaa = heart.
Seeing that city of Lanka duly decorated with banners and flags, Rama remembered Seetha with a distressed heart.
evamukte tu vachasi raameNaakliShTakarmaNaa |
saMgharShamaaNaaH plavagaaH simhanaadai rapuuryan || 6-42-10
10. vachasi = (While) the aforesaid words; uktesati = were spoken; evam = thus; rameNa = by Rama; akliSTakarmaNaa = who was unwearied in action; plavagaaH = the monkeys; samgharSamaaNaaH = vying with one another; aapuurayan = filled the air; simhanaadaiH = with their roaring; resembling those of a lion.
Hearing those words of Rama, who was unwearied in action, the monkeys vying with one another filled the air with their roaring resembling those of lion.
kaancanaani pramRdnantas toraNaani plavam gamaaH |
kailaasa zikhara aabhaani gopuraaNi pramathya ca || 6-42-18
18. pramardantaH = tearing up; kaaNchanaani = the golden; toraNaani = arches; pramathyacha = and breaking down; gopuraaNi = the gates;kailaasa shikharaabhaaNi = that equaled the peak of Kailasa the mountainous abode of Shiva the god of destruction; plavaNgamaaH = the monkeys (attacked Lanka).
The monkeys stood tearing up the golden arches and breaking down the gates that equaled the peak of Kailasa the mountainous abode of Shiva the Lord of Destruction.
iira baahuH subaahuz ca nalaz ca vana gocaraH |
nipiiDya upaniviShTaas te praakaaram hari yuuthapaaH || 6-42-22
etasminn antare cakruh skandha aavaara nivezanam |
22. te = those; hariyuuthapaaH = monkey-generals; viirabaahuH = Virabhabu; subaashcha = Subahu; nalashcha = Nala; tathaa = and panasaH = Panasa; nipiiDya = having stormed; praakaaram = the defensive walls; upaniviSTaaH = took up position on them; etasmin antare = meanwhile; chakre = (they); formed; skandhaavaaraniveshanam = an encampment of a multitude of military divisions.
Those monkey-generals Virabahu, Subahu, Nala and Panasa, having position on them. Meanwhile, they formed an encampment of a multitude of military divisions there.
suSheNah pazcima dvaaram gatas taaraa pitaa hariH || 6-42-26
aavR^itya balavaa.ns tasthau ShaShTi koTibhir aavR^itaH |
26. balavaan = the mighty; suSeNaH = Sushena; taarapitaa = the father of Tara; hariH = and a monkey; gatvaa = going; pashchima dvaaram = to the western gate (while remaining stationed in the south-west); aavR^itaH = surrounded; koTi koTibhiH = by crores and crores of monkeys; tasthau = stood; aavR^itya = besieging; (that gate).
The mighty monkey named Sushena, the father of Tara (Vali’s wife), going to the western gate (while remaining stationed in the south-west) surrounded by crores and croes of monkeys, stood besieging that gate.
shaN^khadundubhinirghoShaH simhanaadastarasvinaam || 6-42-38
pR^ithiviiM chaantarikSham cha saagaraM chaabhyanaadayat |
38. shaNkha du ndubhi nirghoSaH = the sound of couches and drums; simhanaadaH = and the lionine roars; tarasvinaam = of those warriors;abhyanaadayat = reechoed; pR^ithiviim = over the earth; antarikSamcha = sky; saagaramcha = and sea.
The sound of couches and drums made by the demons and the leouine roars of those monkey- warriors re-echoed over the earth, sky and sea.
sa samprahaaras tumulo maa.nsa zoNita kardamaH || 6-42-46
rakShasaam vaanaraaNaam ca sambabhuuva adbhuta upamaaH |
46. saH = that; tumulaH = tumultuous; samprahaaraH = combat; rakSasaam = between demons; vaanaraaNaam cha = and monkeys;sambadhuuvaH = became; adbhutopamaH = resembling a wonder; maamsa shoNita kardamaH = leaving a mire of flesh and blood.
That tumultuous combat between demons and monkeys transformed into a wonder, leaving a mire of flesh and blood.
angadena indrajit saardham vaali putreNa raakShasaH |
ayudhyata mahaa tejaas tryambakeNa yathaa andhakaH || 6-43-6
6. raakSasaH = the demon; indrajit = Indrajit; mahaatejaaH = of immense energy; ayudhyata = fought; aN^gadema saartham = with Angada; vaaliputreNa = the son of Vali; andhakaH iva = like the demon Andhaka; tryambakeNa yathaa = fought with Shiva the Lord of Destruction.
The demon Indrajit of immense energy fought with Angada the son of Vali, as the demon Andhaka fought with Shiva the Lord of destruction.
vaanara indras tu sugriivah praghasena samaagataH |
samgataH samare shariimaan viruupa akSheNa lakShmaNaH || 6-43-10
10. sugriivaH = Sugreeva; vaanarendraH = the king of monkeys; susamgataH = confronted well; praghasena = with Praghasa;shriimaan = and the glorious; lakSmaNaH = Lakshmana; samgataH = confronted; viruupaakSeNa = with Virupaksha; samara = in the battle.
Sugreeva the king of monkeys confronted well with Praghasa and the glorious Lakshmana confronted with Virupaksha in the battle.
hari raakShasa dehebhyah prasR^itaah keshaa shaaaDvalaaH |
shaariira samghaaTa vahaah prasusruh shaoNita aapagaaH || 6-43-17
17. shoNitaapagaaH = streams of blood; prasusruH = flowed; prasR^itaaH = coming forth; hariraakSasa dehebhyaH = from the bodies of monkeys and demons; kasha shaadvalaaH = with turfs of hair; shariira samghaaTa vahaaH = and carrying bodies in the stream like timber.
Streams of blood flowed from the bodies of monkeys and demons, with turfs of hair and carrying bodies in the stream, like timber.
tasya tam ratham aasthaaya hanuumaan maaruta aatmajaH |
pramamaatha talena aashau saha tena eva rakShasaa || 6-43-22
22. hanuman = Hanuman; maarutaatmajaH = the son of wind-god; aasthaaya = ascended; tasya = his; tam ratham = that chariot;aashu = soon; pramamaatha = overthrew (it); tena rakSasaa sahaiva = together with the demon; talena = with the palm of his hand.
Hanuman, the son of the wind-god, ascended his chariot and soon overthrew it together with the demon, with the palm of his hand.
teShaam caturNaam raamas tu shairaa.nsi samare shaaraiH |
kruddhasha caturbhisha ciccheda ghorair agni shaikha upamaiH || 6-43-27
27. kruddhaH = the enraged; raamastu = Rama on his part; chichheda = chopped; shiraamsi = the heads; teSaam = of those;chaturNaam = four demons; chaturbhiH = by four; sharaiH = arrows; agni shikhopamaiH = having fire-like points; ghoraiH = and dangerous; samara = in battle.
The enraged Rama on his part chopped the hands of those four demons in the battle by his four terrific arrows having fire-like points.
evam tair vaanaraih shauuraih shauuraas te rajanii caraaH |
dvandve vimR^iditaas tatra daityaa;iva diva okasaiH || 6-43-42
42. te = those; shuuraaH = strong; rajaniicharaaH = demons; vimathitaaH = were destroyed; evam = thus; taiH = by those;shuuraiH = strong; vaanaraiH = monkeys; tatra = there; dvandeve = in a series of hand to hand encounters; daityaa iva = as the demons; divaukasaiH = by the celestials.
Those strong demons were destroyed thus by those valiant monkeys there in a series of hand to hand encounters, as the demons were destroyed by the blows of the celestials.
nihanyamaanaa hari pumgavais tadaa |
nishaaa caraah shaoNita digdha gaatraah |
punaH suyuddham tarasaa samaasharitaa |
divaakarasya astamaya abhikaankShiNah || 6-43-46
46. tadaa = then; nishaacharaaH = the rangers of the night; shoNita digdhagaatraaH = their limbs anointed with blood;nihanyamaanaaH = after being attacked; haripuNgavaiH = by the excellent monkeys; divaakarasya astamayaabhi kaaNkSiNaH = longed for sun-set; punaH = and again; samaashritaaH = assembled; tarasaa = with strength; suyuddham = for a good combat.
Then, the rangers of the night, with their limbs anointed with blood after being attacked by the excellent monkeys, longed for sun-set and again with strength, assembled for a good combat.
kunjaraan kunjara aarohaan pataakaa dhvajino rathaan || 6-44-8
cakarShusha ca dada.nshausha ca dashaanaih krodha muurchitaaH |
8. krodha muurchhitaa = agitated with anger; (the monkeys); chakarSuH = dragged; kuNjaraan = the elephants; kuNjaraarohaan = and those mounted on the elephants; rathaan = and the chariots; pataakaadhvajinaH = provided with banners and flag-staffs; dadamshcha = breaking them to pieces; dashanaiH = with their teeth.
Agitated with anger, the monkeys dragged the elephants and those mounted on them and also the chariots with their banners and flag-staffs duly breaking them to pieces with their teeth.
teShaam raamah shaaraih ShaDbhih ShaD jaghaana nishaaa caraan || 6-44-19
nimeSha antara maatreNa shaitair agni shaikha upamaiH |
19. nimeSaantara maatreNa = within a twinkling of an eye; raamaH = Rama; shaDbhiH = with six; shitaiH = sharp; sharaiH = arrows;agnishikhopamaiH = resembling tongues of flame; jaghaana = struck down; shad = six; teSaam = of those; nishaacharaan = demons.
Within a twinkling of an eye, Rama with six sharp arrows resembling tongues of flame, struck down six of those demons.
tataH kaancana citra angaih shaarair agni shaikha upamaiH |
dishaasha cakaara vimalaah pradishaasha ca mahaa balaH || 6-44-22
22. mahaarathaH = Rama; the great warrior; nimeSantara maatreNa = merely within an instant; ghoraiH = by terrible; agnishikhopamaiH = arrows resembling flames of fire; chakaara = made; dishaSa = the quarters; vidishaashcha = and the intermediate quarters; vimalaaH = clear (of all the demons).
Rama the great warrior, merely within an instant, made the quarters and the intermediate quarters, clear of all the demons, by his arrows resembling flames of fire.
angadas tu raNe shaatrum nihantum samupasthitaH || 6-44-28
raavaNer nijaghaana aashau saarathim ca hayaan api |
28. angadastu = Angada on his part; samupasthitaH = who came; nihantum = to annihilate; shatruun = the enemies; raNe = in the battle-field;nijaghaana = struck; raavaNim = Indrajit; saarathimcha = his charioteer; hayaanapi = and the horses; aashu = all at once.
Angada on his part, who came to annihilate the enemies in that battle-field, struck Indrajit, his charioteer and the horses all at once.
tatkarma vaaliputrasya sarve devaaH saharShibhiH |
tuShTuvuH puujanaarhasya tau chobhau raamalakShmaNau || 6-44-31
31. sarve = all; devaaH = the celestials; ubhau = and both; raamalakSmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana; sharSibhiH = together with all the sages;tuSTuvuH = were pleased; tat karma = with that act; puujanaarhasya = of the venerable; vaaliputrasya = Angada the son of wind-god.
All the celestials, both Rama and Lakshmana together with all sages were pleased with that act of the venerable Angada the son of Vali.
tataH prahR^iShTaaH kapayaH sasugriivavibhiiShaNaaH |
saadhusaadhviti nedushcha dR^iShTvaa shatrum paraajitam || 6-44-33
33. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; shatrum = the enemy; parajitam = defeated; kapayaH = those monkeys; sa sugriiva vibhiiSaNaaH = along with Sugreeva and Vibhishana; tataH = then; prahR^iSTaaH = were delighted; nedushcha = and praised him; saadhviti = as good.
Seeing the enemy defeated, those monkeys along with Sugreeva and Vibhishana were delighted and praised Angada as an efficient warrior.
raamaM cha lakShmaNam chaiva ghorairnaagamayaiH sharaiH |
bibheda samare kruddhaH sarvagaatreShu raaghavau || 6-44-36
36. kruddhaH = being enraged; samara = in battle; (Indrajit); bidheda = burted out; sharaiH = arrows; ghoraiH = which were terrific; naaga mayaiH = in the form of serpants; sarva gaatreSu = into all the limbs; raamam cha = of Rama; lakSmaNam chaiva = and Lakshmana; raaghavau = born in Raghu dynasty.
Being enraged in battle, Indrajit bursted out serpent-like terrible arrows into all the limbs of Rama and Lakshmana who were born in Raghu dynasty.
maayayaa saMvR^itastatra mohayan raaghavau yudhi |
adR^ishayo nishaitaan baaNaan mumoca ashaani varcasaH || 6-44-37
babandha sharabandhena bhraatarau raamalakShmaNau |
37. samvR^itaH = enveloped; maayayaa = by illusion; mohayan = he sought to confuse; raaghavau = Rama and Lakshmana; yudhi = in the struggle; tatra = their; adR^ishya = and invisible; sarva bhuutaanaam = to all beings; kuuTa yodhii = through his magic arts; nishaacharaH = Indrajit the ranger of the night; babandha = bound; bhraatarau = those two brothers; raama lakSmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana; shara bandhena = with a net work of arrows.
Enveloped by illusion, he sought to confuse Rama and Lakshmana in the struggle there and invisible to all beings through his magic arts, Indrajit the ranger of the night bound those two brothers Rama and Lakshmana with a net work of arrows.
prakaasharuupastu tadaa na shakta |
stau baadhituM raakShasaraajaputraH |
maayaaM prayoktuM samupaajagaama |
babandha tau raajasutau duraatmaa || 6-44-39
39. na shaktaH = not being able; baadhitum = to torment; tau = those two princes; prakaasharuupaH = in his manifest form; raakSasaraaja putraH= the son of the king of demons; tadaa = then; samupaajagaama = came; duraatmaa = with his perverse mind; prayoktum = and had recourse; maayaam= to magic; raajasutau babandha = in order to make the princes captive.
Not being able to hurt those two princes in his manifest form, Indrajit the son of the king of demons with his perverse mind, had recourse to magic in order to make them captive.
ஸ்ரீ சீதா ராம ஜெயம்
ஸ்ரீ வால்மீகி பகவான் திருவடிகளே சரணம்
பெரிய பெருமாள் பெரிய பிராட்டியார் ஆழ்வார் எம்பெருமானார் ஜீயர் திருவடிகளே சரணம்